Saturday, February 28, 2015

Pronouns are Important

Sophie of Assigned Male posted this comic today: 


I posted it forward on Raising Allies' facebook wall because it represents how life often is for non-binary people. They are rarely represented in the media, they are often discounted or dismissed, and they want to feel seen and validated as individuals just like everyone else.

Because this was a comic that related to a topic that is near and dear to me, as the parent of a non-binary kid, I shared it on my own personal facebook wall as well. Six hours later and only one person has liked that post on my wall. I remind myself that it may have gotten pushed down on people's walls due to other posts. I tell myself that it's Saturday and, at least where I live, it's sunny so many people are probably outside or otherwise occupied and not hanging out on facebook. But deep down it bothers me. That's because so few people ever like or comment when I post something that relates to being transgender, using gender neutral pronouns, or gender being a spectrum and not binary.

Two years ago I wrote a blog post over at With The Family titled "If It's Important to You, It's Important To Me." That's what I want, I want to know that this topic that is important to me and my family is important to those who say they are my friend, are my relatives, or who say they care about me. And that's really what I'm trying to express about pronoun usage: when talking to or about a non-binary person, when you use the pronouns they have asked you to use it shows them that who they are is important to you. 


If you have questions or concerns about gender neutral pronouns here are some resources:

Gender Neutral Pronouns: They're Here, Get Used To Them

How using "They" as a singular pronoun can change the world


And Please consider supporting Sophie Labelle who creates Assigned Male comics and art through her Patrion Account. 



You can get pronoun buttons at nerdcore crafts on etsy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment